Photo by: https://blog.educationplatform.co.uk/2019/05/23/how-to-develop-your-personal-learning-network/

Talk about the guests and their steps in building a podcast relying on a PLN:

This week’s Guest Mo Amir mentioned how he began a podcast in 2018 as a hobby. Prior to beginning his podcast, he has no previous experience with Twitter or LinkedIn. He built his podcast through connections and networking within Vancouver, B.C. From staying true to himself and discussing topics that resonate with him and what he is truly interested in, Mo Amir made it to number 20 on the Itunes Podcast charts. It is absolutely fascinating how far you can bring forward what you’re advocating by using your PLN and having connections. He mentioned that landing one large guest can expand your audience and get people to recognize your name because the guests’ audience reaches their peers and colleagues. 

Once the podcast began he created a Twitter account and discovered the local communities that Twitter has. Twitter allows users in all areas to engage with one another and discuss the same topic of interest. Mo Amir mentioned that Twitter has been his biggest social media advocate for getting his podcast out there and meeting new people. Although Twitter was not present when beginning the podcast, he quickly learned the benefits of using the platform. Mo Amir has learned through consistency, reliability, credibility, and having time to prove yourself to others will help get your name out there and your story told. 

Can your PLN be used to help professional development post-closure? If yes, how? If no, what limitations exist? 

Yes, my Twitter PLN can be used to help my professional development post closure. Although I am using my sociology degree for pre-med I am taking a gap year to work and use my sociology degree. I have already found Twitter to have numerous communities that talk about sociological issues that I am interested in. My professional Twitter account has already retained a following base revolving around my topic of interest. I did this by engaging with other users through commenting, sharing their posts, and tweeting my thoughts on the subject matter. There are numerous social media platforms out there that I can use as well, however, I find Twitter to be the most beneficial when it comes to networking with others and discussing social issues. 

Can your PLN be relied on to open professional opportunities?

I definitely believe it has the potential to open professional opportunities. If I began using it daily and engage with more users it definitely can spread the message I am trying to reach. This can open opportunities for me when it comes to finding a job that deals with the same social issue. On my Twitter, I have talked about social issues of incarceration and child support. There are many job opportunities revolving around these social issues. I definitely will need to start being more consistent with my Twitter page in order to build reliability. However, I do see there being numerous professional opportunities from my PLN. 

This week I engaged with LiDing and Jiaqi’s Blog post:

LiDing’s Blog:

Jiaqui’s Blog:

Del Giudice, M., Della Peruta, M. R., & Carayannis, E. G. (2013). Social media and emerging

economies: Technological, cultural and economic implications. Springer Science & Business Media.

Miller, Jesse. (2021). EDCI PODCAST-2021-10-24 Mo Amir. Youtube. https://www.youtube.

com/watch?v=LgoDet6pwaI